Monday, June 6, 2011

Lachrymosa, Victorian-era Mourning.




Lachrymosas, also called lachrymatory, tear catchers, or tear vials, were used to gather and preserve the tears wept by mourners at funerals. They were often worn on necklaces, and some were simply held in hand.



One type of lachrymosa had a special top which allowed the tears to evaporate (signifying the end of the mourning period). Another kind had a sealed top to allow the tears to last for a year, at which point they would be poured on the grave of the person whom the tears were wept for.






I think it's a lovely and beautiful sentiment and ritual :)



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know it, so interesting! And they're beutiful objects

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's such a beautiful act :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't help but wonder how you go about collecting tears from someone else. And what about pink eye and other infectious eye diseases? Yuck.

    ReplyDelete